Officer Complaint / Recognition

Tell us how we're doing!

We value your opinion! Please help us understand what we do well and what we could do better. If you have a specific need or need an immediate response, please call 911 for emergencies or 207-866-4000 for non-emergency issues. Our form can be used for anonymous feedback: positive, negative, or neutral. Click here for the form.

How to make a Formal Complaint

We understand that not every interaction with a police officer is a pleasant experience, but we fully expect our officers to understand that everything they do has an effect on others.  All officers are expected to understand their role in the community to both Protect and Serve, and we want to hear about anyone not living up to that expectation. The process of a formal complaint is listed below: 

  1. There are several ways to file a formal complaint:
    1. Fill this form out:     Citizen Complaint Form
    2. Come to the Police Department at 63 Main Street and tell any employee that you want to make a complaint; 
    3. Call the Police Department at 207-866-4000 or the Town Manager’s Office at 207-866-2556 and tell the person answering the phone that you want to make a complaint; or
    4. Write your complaint and mail it to the Deputy Chief of Police.
    5. If you need assistance, a supervisory employee will assist you in filling out a report of complaint against law enforcement personnel form. This form asks you to identify yourself and then to give specific details about your compliant. Please reach out to the Police Department for assistance.
  2. Your complaint will then be investigated. You may be contacted and asked additional questions about your complaint.
  3. If the investigation of your complaint is going to take a long time, you will receive a letter telling you approximately when you may expect a reply.
  4. When your complaint has been investigated, the Deputy Chief of Police will review the investigation and will write you a letter explaining what has been found out about the matter.