Things to Do
- Ride the shuttle: Skip the hassle of campus parking on busy game days and campus visits by riding the Black Bear Orono Express around town!
- Check out the region's best cluster of restaurant & Bars: Black Bear Brewery, Family Dog, Harvest Moon Deli, Margarita's, Pat's Pizza, Thai Orchid, Woodman's Grill, Marsh Island Brewing, Yamas
- Partake of coffee, sandwiches, baked good, groceries: Circle K, Subway, The Nest, The Store-Ampersand.
- Don't forget the veggies: Orono Farmers' Market - "Winter" market in Downtown; "Summer" market at University Steam Plant parking lot
- Browse for special items: Mainely Succulents, Rose Bike Shop, Shaw and Tenney (wooden oars and paddles)
- Feel like a new you: Dick's Barber Shop, Erv's Barber Shop, Fringe Salon
- Fix the car: Murray's Campus Service Center
- Treat yourself to fine wines and hand-crafted beer: Black Bear Microbrew, Burby and Bates, The Store-Ampersand
- Get one with nature: Walk the Stillwater River trail; kayak or canoe from hand-carry landings on the Stillwater River at the end of Summer Street, at University Inn, or at Brownie's Park along the Stillwater River trail
- Enjoy a summer concert: Every Tuesday evening during the summer on the Orono Village Green
- Learn and connect: Orono Public Library, Keith Anderson Community Center
- Experience history: Walk the Orono Main Street Historic District with twenty-nine 19th Century and turn-of-the-century buildings covering all of the major styles of a hundred years
- Take a dip at the Town's outdoor pool next to the Orono school campus
Investing In Downtown
Downtown Orono - with its mix of longstanding businesses and newcomers, college youth and senior citizens, riverfront and trails - is the dynamic core of Orono. It is a strong address for restaurants, businesses catering to a University market, and professional and R&D offices. More than a decade ago, the Town, in cooperation with Downtown merchants and residents, reaffirmed its commitment to a healthy Downtown. It has since:
- Built a new, LEED-certified public library in Downtown
- Established a Downtown Development District, which is administered by the Town.
- Initiated the Black Bear Orono Express, a shuttle bus between Downtown and the University of Maine campus - jointly developed by the University, Town, Orono Village Association, Maine DOT and BAT Connector
- Established a fund for capital investments in Downtown and to help pay for the shuttle bus
- In cooperation with Orono Village Association, engaged the University of Maine Margaret Chase Smith Policy Center to help market Downtown
- Established a Downtown riverfront park on the banks of the Stillwater, as part of an evolving in-town trail system
To learn more about Downtown business opportunities, contact Mitch Stone, Director of Economic Development